Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Wedding

My daughter was married last Saturday, October 6th, 2012 and it was an exciting time. All went well. I know a few of you who follow me on Facebook have seen some of these pictures but I wanted to post a bit about the amazing day. It began with torrential rain and cleared for a beautiful sunny fall day in Ottawa.

But first my weight. Yeah, I finally broke a two year plateau. Can we all clap our hands together. I finally reached 167 pounds—48 pounds lost forever. When I first started the journey to lose weight, I made a list of things I wanted and included:
  • I will walk my daughter down the aisle in a beautiful Mother of the Bride dress. 
Well let me tell you, I was smashing! I couldn't believe the photos of me that day. The dress fit perfectly, my new teeth shone and my hair dresser and makeup artist made me beautiful. And yes, I am not shy. I am proud to say I am 58 years old. But I don't think you could guess that from this photo.
Ready for pictures.

Now here is a photo montage of the rest of the day.
Dad & Son ready (almost). Need a shot of Scotch first.
Wearing the family tartan.
Pictures were taken before the ceremony so the photographer, did the First Look picture. As the groom approached, he told my daughter to turn to the right. Whoops, he meant his right. I love this photo. My daughter looked gorgeous.
First Look: My daughter and her soon to be husband
Copyright http://www.bhphotography.ca/
Wedding Party in shades of plum.
Copyright http://www.bhphotography.ca/
I Do!
Copyright http://www.bhphotography.ca/
Relaxing before the I Do's.
Holding our Wedding Photo from 31 years ago.
Cake matched the wedding dress by the Cake Whisperer
Reception at the Museum of Nature.
120 bows were tied on the backs of those Chiavari chairs.
Waiting for the reception to begin.
My one insistence was candles. Lots and lots of candles.
Still can't believe this is me!
After the ceremony in the Queen's Gallery of the Museum, we munched appetizers and had a few drinks with the dinosaurs in the exhibit.
Dinosaurs were locked in the Gallery for Night Wedding at the Museum.
Since it was Thanksgiving in Canada, we chose to serve a turkey dinner. Yum. Later in the evening, out came the dessert buffet: pies and macarons (click to see my Pin for little french meringue cookies) along with apple cider, hot chocolate and of course wedding cake. No one was left hungry for sure. Lots of dancing and visiting and surprises. The sister of the groom travelled from Washington, DC and sang Ave Maria during the ceremony and also sang the song, "j’t’aime tout court"  for the first dance between the Bride and Groom. Such a beautiful voice. 

One special moment for my hubby and me. The groom's sister along with the DJ/musician sang "The Rose" by Bette Midler. That was the song we walked down the aisle to 31 years ago and was our "first dance" which we never got to dance. Until this night. A beautiful surprise that they arranged during dinner. I sobbed the entire time. Couldn't keep those tears in check. 
Our First Dance to "The Rose"
We made it to bed at 2:00 am only to rise early to host a brunch for family and friends on Sunday morning. I think I was a bit insane when I thought up that idea. But we ate pounds and pounds of bacon and sausage, eggs, meatballs, sweets and treats as well as most of the stuff on this table.
Lots of food (and Mimosas to wash it down).
It was a good time. 

The happy couple spent the last week on their honeymoon in New York City. May they live happily ever after.

Now to figure out how to be a grandmother. For those who don't know yet, my daughter is expecting in mid February. A little girl for my little girl. In the pictures above, she is 5 months pregnant and glowing. 

I have one last gift to give them. I will finish my cross-stitch project called "The Wedding" that is about 75% done. I had to slack off over the last month to get ready for the actual wedding, but I'll be back to it soon.

And last but not least, my wish to be smashing at my daughters wedding came true. So dream big and never give up!

Sandy


Pin It Now!

17 comments:

Ronnie said...

You looked BEAUTIFUL, Sandy. (And so did your daughter, of course.) I can't get over how fantastic you look!

Lonicera said...

Wow Sandy, I feel quite overwhelmed. You and your daughter look absolutely stunning, and I absolutely love your dress, and the colour. Love the teeth and the hair too! Your husband and son look knockout - there's something about a kilt....
So happy for you!
Caroline

Miss Vickie "The Queen Bee" said...

You are freaking amazing!!!!!! I am so happy for you and for your daughter. Way to go!

Cheri said...

Beautiful beautiful beautiful!! You look radiant, and your daughter is so lovely!

Robyn's Nest said...

You look smashing!!! I am so happy that you made your goal a reality.

Darlin1 said...

Oh.....Sandy....WOW!!! You look beautiful.....love the dress....love the kilts! Your daughter looks radiant!!!

Love that you and hubby got to have your dance to The Rose ....how cool is that?

Congratulations on your soon to be grand daughter....there is NOTHING better!!

I finally broke my 2 year weight plateau also. Just a couple of pounds....but .....soooooooooo nice!

XOXO

adorkbl said...

First off. You look GREAT. No I would never guess your age. I would guess low 40's... tops!! So kudos to looking so smashing!!

And your daughter looked beautiful. And happy. What a gorgeous wedding. :)

Holly from 300 Pounds Down said...

Wow!!! You seriously look drop dead gorgeous! Oh my gosh!! Congratulations on all your hard work. You look beautiful. So does your daughter!!

speck said...

The pictures are beautiful and I love the color scheme.

Sandra

speck said...

The pictures are beautiful and I love the color scheme.

Sandra

dupster said...

Found your blog through Holly's Losing 300 lbs. blog. I'm so glad I got to read about your beautiful daughter's wedding. You should be ashamed of yourself, you're almost more gorgeous than the bride!!! I have so many regrets from the years I spent morbidly obese (30 years at 300 lbs.+), and that is my two oldest son's weddings and how I looked. I wore the same black long dress to their weddings, because it was so hard to find something pretty in my size (5X), and since their weddings were only a year apart, I just didn't bother to shop for a new dress for the 2nd wedding. I look like this huge blob in all the pictures. But, 18 months ago I hit my goal weight of 160 lbs., and have stayed below that goal ever since. I never hit a goal weight before, and when I lost weight in the past, I always gained it back in about five minutes. So this is huge for me, and very different from my behavior in the past. But I'm 61 now, and I think I finally grew up. I am so looking forward to looking fabulous at my youngest son's wedding someday. That thought helps me keep the weight off! He doesn't even have a girlfriend right now, so his wedding is a ways off, but I know I can do this! I will be THIN for at least one of my son's weddings and hope I can look at least 1/10 as fabulous as you did at your daughter's wedding. Congrats on the grandbaby to come. Being a grandma is the BEST part of my life now! That...and finally being thin!!!

Dinnerland said...

Oh my gosh, you look SOOOOO gorgeous!!!
The wedding looks like it was beautiful, and I am so glad to be telling you this as little old me: Dinnerland, once again.
I'll be blogging more often now that I finally got my mojo back.
cheers to a lovely wedding and a proud, proud and fabulously gorg. momma!!

Catherine55 said...

You looked absolutely stunning! What a fantastic dress! And, what a beautiful event. How nice!!

Gen said...

Been meaning to tell you...You looked AMAZING! Wow! Love the pics. Congrats!

Tina Johnston said...

Holy Crap Sandy!!! vavavavoom in your wedding gear!!! You look positively sexy :)

I have been focussing way too much on the shop and its blog so my weightloss one is looking so neglected. LIkely my weight gain is because I am taking my eye off the shole weightloss ball.

Thanks for the words of encouragement over at my place :)

xxxooo

Tina Johnston said...

and how cool is a weding at a museum! you all look fab and the wedding looks brilliant.

Retired Syd said...

Wow, 48 pounds!!! You look fabulous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...