Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

R.I.P. Elliot-Our Cat from Hell

The time has finally come. My daughter had to make the decision to put down her cat Elliot. He has been vicious off and on over the last few years and had to be put in the basement when company came. You couldn't pick him up or pet him unless he came to you.

He lived with me for 2 years and while outside one day another animal came into the yard. He was in full attack mode when I tried to get him in the house. The scratches and punctures needed antibiotics and it scared the crap out of me. Still have the scars.

Yet we hoped he was settling down and making some progress.
Elliot in quieter times.
A gentler time.
I think he's about 8 years old and my daughter has had him since he was a 6 week old kitten. As he got older, the wires became more crossed in his brain. He was taken to the vet to see if something could be done, but he went wild in the carry bag and the vet wouldn't take him out. Back home to wait for another appointment where they could drug him senseless just to be checked out.

But...

It was not to be. He struck out at my son-in-law the other day and the new one month old baby was right beside him.

So...

We cannot wait for something more serious to happen.

When my daughter told me, I cried. And cried some more when I saw him at their place later that night. He was nice as pie, rubbing up against my leg.

Another Cat from Hell episode over.

I am sad even though I know it has to be done. He was a great cat.

Just had to share some memories today, his final day.

Sandy


Pin It Now!

7 comments:

♫ Drazil ♪ said...

Our little dog did this when Watermelon was born...he growled at her and couldn't adjust and we knew we had to let him go. So hard. I'm so sorry.

Cheri said...

I'm sorry Sandy, that is so hard.

Jody V said...

So sorry Sandy. You all did the right thing. Hope you all feel better soon!

Jody

Connie O said...

So sorry about Elliot ... he was beautiful, and I understand why it's sad to lose him. But it sounds like the right choice, as he clearly wouldn't be safe around the baby. I know you will still grieve for him, though, because I would be the same way.

Steph said...

so sorry to hear of your loss, Sandy. We are going through a touch time with our 17 year old cat, Sabrina, who is having bladder issues and we know that she will have to be out to sleep soon. It is hard when they are family members. Much love to you!

Retired Syd said...

What a sad story all around. I'm sure even though it's the right thing to do, it's still very hard.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down said...

I'm so sorry!! I know how hard that is having been through a similar experience. I wish you and your family a lot of comfort.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...